Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Small Things

I have several topics I'd like to address this week. I could hardly decide what to start with, honestly. I've decided to first talk about happenings with the horses, because that's an easy thing to discuss. The next post will be more in depth and will probably require some time to turn from incoherent rambling to something actually understandable. Start simple, I suppose.


MJ's been doing well. We've made a lot of progress recently on the ground. From not being able to coax her within 5 feet of tying post(or a rubber mat, or the wash stall ...or anything really), to standing quietly on carnivorous rubber mats(even the extra ferocious one that eats more horses than any of the others), walking under terrifyingly low roofs, through tight passageways, and stepping up on insurmountable concrete pads. Nothing too exciting for many horses, but a very big deal for dear Mare.
She's been so good about standing [untied] in the cross ties that today I even tied her up for a moment. When she realized she was tied she looked paralyzed for a second, and I thought she might pull back and try to take off, but she just took a deep breath and stood. I was thrilled, sometimes it's the small things that really denote the most progress.
I also hand walked her about 1/4 mile down the road, and she was very well behaved.

I worry she's been looking a bit wormy lately; she has a big belly, but some visible ribs now. She's been dewormed fairly recently, but it wasn't a targeted treatment, and she's on the property with probably 30 other horses. Worms are definitely a possibility.
I'm planning to do a Panacur Powerpak, but I want to have the vet do a fecal first when he's out to float her teeth, just to confirm.



Rileigh got a bath today. He gets awful dandruff every winter(no fungus or anything, it's been checked out previously, just dandruff) whether he's clipped or not. It's a little bit gross I admit. He got a good scrubbing with Head&Shoulders today, much to his dismay, and hopefully his dander will dissipate quickly as spring nears.



An unhappy, soap covered horse. He only tolerates baths on the best of days, and today was ridiculous. It was seriously like washing a cat.


Zipper had a bath and his mane pulled just yesterday. He was a gentleman about it, of course.


I feel like I should note that my three horses are at three different barns. The three barns aren't all near each other, so I essentially never get to see more than two of my horses in one day.
The reasoning to this is not exactly a "long story," but there is a bit of an explanation behind it. I'm sure I'll go into it at some point in the future.
They'll all be together in the same location after I move in April. That will be nice!

1 comment: