Monday, January 23, 2012

Horses, Part 2 - Zipper

As an aside, I'd like to note that all my lovely, talented horses were originally 3-figure purchases. You can find super horses with a lot of potential for pennies these days, you just have to look for them.

Turn And Counter, aka Zipper


Zipper is a fairly new addition to the team. A 1997 Thoroughbred gelding, Zipper came off the track as a 4-year-old w/ only 4 starts. I found him in early December in someone's backyard, he'd not been ridden in 6 months, and had no formal training off the track. When ridden, he'd been used as a trail horse and for bombing around the yard. But he had potential!
He's a fantastic mover, and has the sweetest, cuddliest and most willing personality. I took him over a "jump" [a mop on 2 buckets] when I tried him out, and he too happily leapt over without a second thought.
While he's very green to english riding and most training concepts, he's been picking up on everything phenomenally. My younger sister, Hannah, has been riding him, and just the other day he took her over her first 2'6" ...which was also his first 2'6"! He went cross country schooling a week ago and was wonderful, didn't look at anything and seemed to really enjoy it.
I plan to event him a bit, but eventually gear him toward hunters for my younger sister.
Really a nice horse.


(^Hannah riding)

No comments:

Post a Comment