Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Horses, Part 3 - Rileigh

Rile E Coyote, aka Rileigh


Rileigh is my main horse, so to speak, and will likely end up the star of this blog. A 2006 Thoroughbred/Saddlebred cross gelding, I bought him in 2007, when he was 9 months old and I was 14.
He had a rough start to life. He was an accidental breeding, and his older, undernourished dam passed away when he was not but 6 weeks old. His uneducated and very busy owner assumed that he would learn to eat grass and get along fine ... When he was almost 3 months old, he got caught in his barbed wire fencing and cut his leg to the bone. It was at this point that the original owner realized that perhaps someone else may be better equipped to care for him. He was surrendered to a local ranch who rehabbed him and sold him, to me. I really can't imagine not having him.
Rileigh is truly "my" horse. I have done all of his training myself from halter breaking on up. I backed him, rode him at his first show, and took him over his first jump. He's a great horse, I think(not that I'm biased or anything). Hot, strong, and a little neurotic, but brave, talented and so much fun. Not the type of horse for everyone, but he's just my type and I love him to death.
He's eventing at Beginner Novice this year, hopefully moving up to Novice by the end of this year/beginning of next. He's been schooling Training level XC & stadium ...we just need to get our dressage in order. Relaxation!

No comments:

Post a Comment