Thursday, March 8, 2012

Busy Busy!

I really have been busy this time! I have so many things coming up that I'm not ready for. On Saturday I'm leaving to spend a week skiing in the French Alps, and I haven't even come close to starting to pack. In three weeks I have an event, and I haven't even looked at the test (BN B), and won't have a single opportunity to practice it before showing. Dressage gives me panic attacks, so this is a big deal. I'm moving next month; taking two horses and my entire household about an hour south, hopefully it will be the last move for a while. The house is a complete wreck and I haven't started boxing things up in the slightest. Six weeks from now I'll be leaving for Rolex. While it's exciting, there's a lot that hasn't yet been coordinated, and I must admit I'm not looking forward to the 16 hour drive(one way).
Very stressful stuff.
AND I had to stop in the middle of writing this post due to the fact that our apartment was flooding. Because I need more things to worry about.

Anyway, the show over the weekend was alright. We didn't do very well Saturday but had a new plan Sunday and our performance was greatly improved. Rileigh gets burnt out so easily, he really doesn't do well w/ the "hurry up and wait" environment at H/J shows. I'm learning how to accommodate his needs and keep him happy in that setting, though, which is paramount. No placings this time, but I was pleased with how we ended the weekend - only one rail Sunday.


I definitely have some things to work on in our next lesson. What on earth has happened to my leg?!
Mainly though, I direly need to give my poor horse a softer, more following release. I used to be a lot more generous, but as he got stronger and stronger over fences I got into the habit of holding. With the gag he's in now, I don't need to worry quite so much about getting him back after a fence, and my holding his face is clearly impacting his jumping style negatively. Correcting this is absolutely my #1 priority. He looks so uncomfortable in these photos, I feel awful. It almost makes me want to cry.


I briefly mentioned an event ...We are doing Rocking Horse Spring HT in a few weeks, it will be Riles' first recognized event. I'm very excited, just anxious about dressage, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment